Monday, April 13, 2009

Pluses and Minuses of a Blog

I guess I will start with the pluses. There are too many to count. I viewed April's blog to help me decide the pluses and minuses. Blogs is and can be very useful in the classroom. Blogs are worth the time that you would put in them, especially when you have readers reading them. Blogs can be used in the classroom for each subject or you could just do one class blog. Teachers could use blogs for anything that is accomplished in their classroom.

Teachers could use the blogs to post homework checklists. If a student forgot their homework sheet for class they could look up the teacher’s blog and find it. Students that might miss class due to being sick or maybe even having a doctor’s appointment could get their homework off the blog. The blog could also help the parents know what their child or children are supposed to be doing in class or at home. The teacher could posts reports on how her/his class is doing, could posts meeting that parents might need to attend, and the teacher could also posts positive comments about their students. Blogs are a great way to share class information and I am sure that I will have one for my classes.

Well what can I say? Something that sounds so good can also have minuses. Blogs are nice to use but can be too long to read. Readers can get bored reading line after line of information. Blogs contain a lot of information and after too much is added it can be hard to find a certain post. Teachers need to type their paragraphs short and to the point. This will help cut down 5 or 6 paragraphs to read to maybe 2 or 3. Blogs also time up a lot time. If a teacher thinks that no one is reading their blog, they may think it is useless to spend all their time on it. Blogs can be hard to access if the Internet is down. Students that do not have Internet at home would struggle with the blog information because they could not access.

I think overall that using a blog in the classroom is a good idea. It can spread information to all the students and parents involved within the classroom. Teachers could post announcements about cancellations on the blog, like ballgames or maybe PTA meetings. I think I could use a blog to reach my students and their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment