Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ways to Improve Class Podcasts


I listened to three of our podcasts on iTunes in the It's time for Technology Talk: Conversations with Future Teachers. I chose three podcasts from my EDM 310 class with Mr. Sullivan. I will say that I listened to our podcasts, but I am going to keep the others to myself to keep from offending anyone. I really think that everyone did a really good job. I think that as first time podcasters, we all could improve. Not just that, there is always room to improve anything because nothing is ever perfect.

The podcasts were supposed to be at least ten minutes. I really think that ten minutes is to long, especially for beginners. Beginners tend to lose track of time and they try to ramble on until they make sure their time is up. I noticed a few of our groups were timing themselves to make sure they made the time mark. The podcasts could improve by being video podcasts, this could let the audience see the objects being referred to in our podcast. The audience could relate more to the podcast if they were done in this way.

Last but not lease, I think overall the students need to relax, slow down, take their time talking, and make more conversations. I think that a lot of the students were just really nervous during the recording. I know that because I was one of them. It might have been different if the students would have done a short practice podcast. Some of the students were talking so fast, it was really hard to understand what they were saying. Some other students, especially me, constantly said um, ah, and like. Most of the students could have improved if they would have just relaxed and not just read from their notes. Reading straight from their notes made the podcast seem like the students were not socializing or making conversation. It was more like reading a book then recording a conversation about our topics.

I am pretty sure if all of us redone our podcasts they would be much better. We would be more prepared and less nervous during the podcasts. There will probably be less ums, less reading, slower talking, and more conversations made. So listen out for our new and improved podcast in our teaching years.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observations about the podcasts, Gretta. I really like your idea about a practice run. I agree this would help people be more relaxed. Great suggestion! SS

    ReplyDelete